I thought I would pop a quick post together to rundown how to get yourself a Google Voice number outside the USA.
Why? well it’s handy if you have US friends to have a US number, and hell, it’s fun to play.
First up, we need a US number to start with.
- First up, pop over to Callcentric and signup for a new account, doesn’t take long, just go through the confirmation email as well, and yes you can use your UK address to signup.
- OK, so halfway to getting a US number as Callcentric is a SIP only number (1777*), login to your Callcentric account, Click Preferences and copy your SIP number into the clipboard.
- Now let’s get that SIP number responding to a proper US phone number. Head on over to IPKall for that.
- Make sure the account type is set to SIP, pick an area code you like and pop the 177 number into the SIP Username field, set the hostname to in.callcentric.com and the email address and password to the same as you used for Callcentric.
- You will get an email from IPKall with your new phone number on it, keep that safe, we will need it in a moment.
- Now to activate the SIP account, download the Callcentric Softphone and install and run it, that will register it on your account (check by going to your dashboard and make sure it says registered in status)
- Next step is to get yourself a VPN tunnel to the USA, I use PrivateInternetAccess (payfor) but I know that HotSpotShield works as well, whichever way you go, make sure your in the USA, well at least as far as google thinks (Check Here)
- goto voice.google.com and login.
- Pick a number, user either the create me a number method, or whatever you fancy, upto you
- pop a 4 digit pin in when asked
- Right, here’s where we need the US phone number we got earlier from IPKall, pop it in when asked, and make sure your Callcentric softphone is up and running, as Google will call you to verify you now. Just pop the number in, and the next screen say call me now, pop the code into the keypad that they give you and hey prsto, Google Voice.
- Pop over to marketplace/Appstore and download the mobile app for it.
- You now have a US telephone number (well 2 actually), hopefully when/if Google enable SIP direct to Google Voice you can make US calls for nothing/little